One of our favorite snacks is chips and salsa and I found that we did not have to give these up on our no salt/low salt diet. Homemade salsa with Garden of Eatin’ Organic Blue Corn Chips, No Added Salt, is just delicious and quite addictive. You can, of course, add a pinch of salt if you like. We do like things on the spicy side, so it is a good idea to taste as you go on this recipe.
- 7 Roma tomatoes, or whatever tomatoes you have available
- 1 medium red onion
- 1/4 jalapeno pepper, seeded
- Piece of yellow or red pepper, whatever I have on hand
- 3/4 cup Italian parsley leaves, packed
- 3/4 cup cilantro leaves, packed (do not use the stems as they will add bitterness)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped or crushed (or more garlic – to your taste)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder (this adds a good ‘kick’, so 1/2 tsp for a medium heat, or none for mild – up to you!)
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste (I use a double concentrated paste called Tamek which has no added salt, available at my local World Market, or on-line)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (or white or red wine vinegar if you prefer)
- Juice of 1 lemon
Roughly chop the tomatoes, peppers and onion.
Add all ingredients to a food processor and pulse until you have the consistency you want. Bottle and enjoy!
For tomato lovers, this salsa is also delicious on baked or grilled fish or chicken. I also like it with small cubes of advocado added. Have fun with it! It is fresh and healthy. I would love to hear how you would use it!